Salient features of SCOSTA include:
- A truly open standard for Smart Card OS.
- Available in 32KB.
- Owned and maintained by National Informatics Center, GoI.
- No patent or royalty issues.
- Based on international standards ISO/IEC 7816 (-4-9) for smart cards.
- Is uniformly applicable for all ID base project requirements.
- The applications specify the memory requirement for the card. Typically used in RSBY – Rashtriya Swastha Bima Yojna on GoI and various other Health Benefit transfer schemes.