Salient features of SCOSTA include:
- A truly open standard for Smart Card OS.
- Available in 64KB.
- Owned and maintained by National Informatics Center.
- No patent or royalty issues.
- Based on international standards ISO/IEC 7816 (-4-9) for smart cards.
- Is uniformly applicable for all ID based projects.
- The applications specify the memory requirement for the card.
- To standardize and secure the data for identity and related projects running under e-Governance like RSBY – Rashtriya Swastha Bima Yojna.